There are 3 things in life that a person should never starve themselves of, and, while you have to use your imagination for the third, music and food are numbers 1 and 2 in my list. In fact, as I am writing this entry i’m sipping on vanilla coffee, eating gluten-free ginger snaps (review to come in following weeks!), and listening to a few songs from a new band i’ve never heard about. For all you recreators out there: the coffee is from a Nabob Vanilla T-Disc (Tassimo), the ginger snaps are Mi-Del, and the band is Alt-J.
Moving on! This is the beginning of my new post segment called Top 5 Music & Meals. It will feature 5 of my favourite songs from the week as well as 5 Gluten-Free meals that I love or think we should all try. Enjoy!
Top 5 Music Bits
1. Leave Me Alone – Natalie Imbruglia & Portishead
2. Stronger Than Ever - Christina Aguilera
3. Go Go Dancer – Lana Del Rey
4. Run – Air
5. I’m Burning Inside - Fuckpony
Top 5 Meal Bites
1. Lazy Sunday Parfait (BREAKFAST)
– 1/2 cup Raspberries
– 1/2 cup Blueberries
– 1/2 cup 0% Liberte Vanilla Greek Yoghurt
– 10 Mi-Del Gingersnaps Cookies
– 4 Life’s Crunchy Sugar Shortbread Cookies
Steps: Gather all ingredients. Wash berries. Put all cookies into a ZipLoc bag and crush them until only small chunks of the cookies remain. Mix blueberries and raspberries together. Layer yoghurt, berries, and cookie chunks starting with fruit at the bottom. Serve in clear tall glasses. Serves 2.
2. Superfoods on the Go (BREAKFAST)
– 2 Tbsp Tahini
– 2 Tbsp Dark Honey
– 1 Small Apple
– 2 Slices Genius by Glutino Multigrain Sandwich Bread
Steps. Toast both slices of bread. Top each side with 1 Tbsp Tahini and 1 Tbsp Dark Honey. Slice apple into thin slices and layer on top of Tahini and Honey. Serve with green tea. Serves 1.
3. Pizza with a Punch! (LUNCH or DINNER)
– 1 Large Gluten-Free Pizza Crust (your favourite brand)
– 1 Cup Mozzarella Cheese, shredded.
– 1 1/2 Cups Prego Tomato Basil Pasta Sauce
– 1 Cup Baby Arugula
– 1 Grilled Chicken Breast, sliced.
– 1/4 Cup Dried Cranberries
– 1/2 Red Onion, sauteed.
– 1 Tbsp Oregano Leaves (not ground Oregano as it loses nutrition value)
– 2 Tbsp Fresh Cracked Black Pepper (use cracked whole peppercorn vs ground pepper)
– 3 Tbsp Balsamic Glaze (your favourite brand)
Steps: Preheat oven to 400 F. Line a pizza or cookie tray with parchment paper and place GF pizza crust on top. Top Pizza with pasta sauce, sauteed red onion, chicken breast, dried cranberries, and cheeses. Cook for 10 minutes. Add arugula. Cook for 5 more minutes. Drizzle with warmed balsamic glaze, oregano leaves, and fresh cracked black pepper. Serve warm. Serves 2-4 people.
4. Gluten-Free Mac n Cheese with Cauliflower Cheese Sauce (LUNCH or DINNER)
Can’t wait to try this one! Check out the recipe here: http://www.vancouverobserver.com/blogs/red-couch/fall-comfort-gluten-free-mac-and-cheese-recipe.
5. Potato Leek Soup with Soft GF Dinner Buns (LUNCH)
Who doesn’t love a creamy veggie soup on a cold Fall day? Check out these delicious looking recipes!
Potato Leek Soup – http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/potato-leek-soup-10000001964017/